Coaching a youth soccer team offers a unique opportunity to help children build self-discipline, a positive attitude and self-esteem as they develop soccer skills and learn the value of teamwork and a love of the game. Please observe the Coach’s Code of Conduct in order to keep soccer a rewarding experience for all players, parents, coaches and league officials.
WCSA Coaches' Code of Conduct
I understand that participating in any of the following actions is prohibited and may lead to disciplinary action, up to and including, but not limited to, suspension, dismissal as a coach and expulsion from the WCSA fields:
- Place the well-being and enjoyment of the players above everything, including winning.
- Abide by WCSA rules and rulings, as well as FIFA rules, and promote fair play and high standards of behavior, adhering to the spirit as well as the law of the game.
- Teach age-appropriate skills as recommended by WCSA’s Director of Coaching during practice sessions.
- Explain to all parents and players what is expected of them and what they can expect of me in order to promote the success of the team.
- Refrain from over-coaching on game day: allow the game to teach the players, and give them the opportunity to make their own decisions and learn from their mistakes.
- Allow each player on the team the opportunity to play 50% of each game.
- Always show respect to all participants in every game, including referees, opposing coaches, parents, spectators and club officials.
- Make every effort not to run up the score in any game, instead using the opportunity to encourage players to work on individual skills and demonstrate excellent sportsmanship.
I acknowledge that as Coach (or Assistant Coach) I am the team leader: I am responsible for the actions of my players and their parents on the field, and need to demonstrate true sportsmanship and respectful conduct at all times (on and off the field) in order to lead by example.
- Allowing unrostered players to participate in practices or games with the team.
- Recruiting players from other teams.
- Belligerence, bullying, or any other offensive, insulting or abusive behavior towards any player, referee, team or club official or other spectator at the fields.